It’s important to keep an eye out for signs that your roof may need repair or replacement. Here are some common signs that indicate it’s time to call a professional roofer:
- Age: The age of your roof can be a good indicator of whether it needs repair or replacement. Most roofs have a lifespan of 20-25 years. If your roof is approaching or exceeding this age, it may be time for a replacement.
- Missing or damaged shingles: Missing or damaged shingles can allow water to seep through and cause damage to your roof’s structure. You may notice shingles that are cracked, curled, or missing altogether.
- Leaks: If you notice water stains on your ceiling or walls, it may be a sign that your roof is leaking. Water can seep through damaged or missing shingles, as well as through cracks in the roof’s structure.
- Sagging: If you notice any sagging or dipping in your roof’s structure, it may be a sign of structural damage. This is a serious issue that requires immediate attention from a professional.
- Granules in gutters: Asphalt shingles shed granules over time. If you notice a buildup of granules in your gutters, it may be a sign that your shingles are starting to deteriorate.
- Higher energy bills: If you notice your energy bills are higher than usual, it may be a sign that your roof is not properly insulated. This can cause your HVAC system to work harder to regulate the temperature in your home.
- Visible damage: If you can see visible damage to your roof, such as cracks, dents, or holes, it’s important to address it as soon as possible. Ignoring visible damage can lead to more extensive damage and costly repairs in the future.
If you notice any of these signs, it’s important to call a professional roofer for an inspection. They can help identify the issue and provide recommendations for repair or replacement. Remember, regular maintenance and inspections can help prevent these issues from occurring in the first place.