Hanging curtains and shades may seem like a simple task, but it can make a big difference in the overall look and feel of your space. Here are 10 must-know rules for hanging curtains and shades:
- Hang curtains high and wide – Hanging your curtains close to the ceiling and extending them past the sides of your window will make your windows appear larger and your ceilings taller.
- Choose the right length – Curtains should just skim the floor or hover about 1/2 inch above it. Avoid curtains that are too short or too long.
- Consider the fabric – Lighter fabrics like cotton and linen are great for a casual look, while heavier fabrics like velvet and silk are perfect for a more formal look.
- Choose the right hardware – Choose a curtain rod that complements your curtains and fits your window size.
- Hang curtains at the right height – Curtains should be hung at a height that allows them to touch the floor or just hover above it.
- Use the right hooks or rings – Choose hooks or rings that match your curtain rod and fit your curtains.
- Choose the right width – Curtains should be 1.5 to 3 times the width of your window to create a full, gathered look.
- Consider the lining – Lining your curtains can provide insulation, block light, and protect your curtains from fading.
- Hang shades at the right height – Shades should be hung at a height that allows them to cover the entire window when fully extended.
- Choose the right type of shade – There are many types of shades, including roller shades, Roman shades, and cellular shades. Choose the type that fits your style and needs.
By following these 10 rules, you can hang curtains and shades like a pro and transform the look and feel of your space.